Sunday 16 November 2014

Easy Chicken Stew


In this house, leftovers equals stew. And stew equals easy cooking night!!! Once a week we have either roast chicken or roast beef. On our mini rotisserie, it NEVER gets dull. Always delicious. But because we're a family of 3, we never finish a full roast. So, what do you do with the leftovers? The answer is almost always STEW!


I work full time. I parent full time. We're not rich. I don't have time or money to be all fancy and cook everything from scratch. BUT I like eating hearty meals that taste like everything is made from scratch and also costs next to nothing. So making 2 meals out of the same ingredients is always a bonus! Here's what you'll need:

1 box of low sodium store bought chicken broth (Campbell's, No Name,    Selection...whatever you like)
1 cup of water
1/2 white onion
3 celery stalks cut into chunks
2 large carrots cut into chunks
3/4 garlic cloves chopped
5 or 6 white potatoes (skin optional) cut into chunks
can of corn
can of peas
leftover rotisserie chicken and skin!
salt
pepper
2 sprigs of rosemary

Pour chicken broth and water into pot. Add salt/pepper, minced garlic, carrots and celery. Bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat and let simmer for about 30 minutes. Add potatoes. Cook with lid on for another 45 minutes stirring occasionally. Add rosemary sprigs. I add these now because if I add them earlier I find the needles fall off and I don't like eating them! Once the potatoes are cooked and the broth is getting a little thicker add your chicken. Let it all simmer with the lid off for another 30 minutes. This is where I take out the rosemary and add the corn and peas. However many you like. Give it another 10 minutes if you can wait that long. This is usually where the hubby can't stop "taste testing" it and we have to dish it up NOW! Serve with bread and butter and there is your easy leftover chicken stew! 

This also works for leftover roast beef. Just substitute chicken broth for beef broth. Easy, hearty, great for these snowy nights! 

7 comments:

  1. This is so simple to make, but looks really tasty! Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  2. You said it all when you said "I work full time. I parent full time. We're not rich. I don't have time or money to be all fancy and cook everything from scratch." Something easy like this is bliss! Thanks for sharing this recipe! Passing it along to other busy parents :). Happy Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't had stew since I was a kid, and I was never a fan. But your version, minus the celery, sounds really good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds yummy. I'd use everything except the rosemary (not a fan, lol). :)

    ReplyDelete